The Research Manager will work collaboratively with industry and university partners to drive deeper engagement in the development of research programs and strategic growth initiatives that align with organizational objectives. The Research Manager is responsible for management and execution of multiple research projects that are performed by cross-functional teams of high functioning research engineers, technicians, graduate research assistants, and interns. This includes ideation, scoping, resource allocation, and deliverable attainment. The Research Manager is responsible for direct management of technical personnel on one or more functional teams, including performance management, skill gap analysis, staff recruiting, etc.
- B.S. in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering, or related discipline(s)
- Experience leading technical teams and/or managing technical personnel relating to manufacturing
- Experience working in manufacturing companies with process development, production, R&D, or related engineering areas
- Experience leading projects and project teams
- This position requires access to technology or intellectual property that is subject to export control requirements. Candidates must be qualified for such access without an export control license
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering, or related discipline(s)
- Experience bringing new technology and research results from concept through prototyping and implementation in a manufacturing process and environment
- Experience working with customers to understand drivers and needs. Experience developing technical project plans to solve problems. Able to quickly and accurately break down a challenge into actionable plans that achieve clear deliverables within defined schedule, budget, and resource constraints.
- Strong project management skills and experience
- Team oriented and collaborative, with a constructive focus on collaborative problem solving
- Strong team leadership and communication skills
- Ability to construct & execute strategic vision & plans
Individual Traits Key to Success at CCAM
- Approaches work with a collaborative, team-first mentality; positive, proactive, with a can-do attitude
- Genuine enthusiasm for the application of research to manufacturing processes
- Excels at problem definition; able to work effectively with open ended or ambiguous problems and/or applications
- Self-driven and results-oriented, with a clear focus on high quality work performance
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, conveys ideas at both technical and non-technical levels; must be a good listener
- Responsible and accountable; able to manage time, cost, and quality to meet project goals
- Eager to gain new experience and learn new skills
The Commonwealth Center for Advanced Manufacturing is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.