The Senior Robotics Research Engineer will work with research management and research team members to drive strategic growth at CCAM in advanced robotics and will develop and execute research projects with industrial partners to apply advanced robotics, vision, and other new technologies to advanced manufacturing challenges.
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering or similar discipline
- 3+ years relevant experience
- This position requires access to technology or intellectual property that is subject to export control requirements. Candidates must be qualified for such access without an export control license
- Perform research in advanced robotics, including working with such technologies as industrial robotic arms, remote & tele-operated robotics, cooperative robotics, AR/VR & HCI for robotic processes and technologies, vision, etc. Support ongoing research projects through contributions in the relevant technical fields.
- Work with customers to develop research project ideas, scope, execution plans, and proposals
- Support research project development and execution, including developing customer collaboration through strong communication & interaction, risk management, performance excellence, results delivery, project resourcing, etc.
- Provide mentorship for less experienced research engineers, GRAs, and interns
- Support CCAM growth as needed through member recruiting, technical capability acquisition, staff recruiting, etc.
- Contribute to a strong team-oriented, constructive work environment that leverages the skills, capabilities, experience, and capacity of all CCAM team members to benefit CCAM, CCAM customers, and external partners.
Senior Research Engineer Responsibilities
- Work with Research Management to develop overall research strategies for CCAM growth in robotics, such as for cooperative robotics, remote/tele-operated robotics, novel robot programming & teaching, etc.
- Support Research management in strategic planning for growth of research team at CCAM, including resource forecasting & planning, skill needs identification, staff & intern recruiting, etc.
- Collaborate with University Fellows and faculty to develop, plan, and execute external research strategy in robotics, including support for publication and grant proposal writing
- Support CCAM collaboration with external robotics organizations, such as the Advanced Robotics for Manufacturing (ARM) Institute
Individual Traits Key to Success at CCAM
- Approaches work with a collaborative, team-first mentality; positive, proactive, with a can-do attitude
- Genuine enthusiasm for the application of research to manufacturing processes
- Excels at problem definition; able to work effectively with open ended or ambiguous problems and/or applications
- Self-driven and results-oriented, with a clear focus on high quality work performance
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, conveys ideas at both technical and non-technical levels; must be a good listener
- Responsible and accountable; able to manage time, cost, and quality to meet project goals
- Eager to gain new experience and learn new skills
The Commonwealth Center for Advanced Manufacturing is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.