The Materials Associate Engineer will perform a wide variety of exciting, hands-on work. Improve and develop manufacturing processes for the production of high-tech materials using advanced equipment. Work with other researchers to understand and optimize processes through the use of process monitoring and control, advanced automation, and new sensing techniques for technologies like laser ablation, robotic finishing, plasma spray, and vacuum coating.
- B.S. in Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering or similar discipline
- This position requires access to technology or intellectual property that is subject to export control requirements. Candidates must be qualified for such access without an export control license
- Experience in the operation and maintenance of complex equipment. Examples include industrial robotics, thermal spray equipment, vacuum coating equipment, laser processes, CNC machining equipment.
- Experience with material processing (metals or ceramics)
- Experience using a variety of analytical techniques (microscopy, thermal analysis, mechanical properties)
- CAD experience (NX, Solidworks, Creo, etc.)
- Programming experience (MATLAB, Python, LabVIEW)
Materials Associate Engineer Responsibilities
- Execute technical tasks on research projects
- Learn about abrasive blasting and laser ablation research, potential to lead research in this area
- Learn the basics of thermal spray; may become a third thermal spray researcher with potential to lead research in this area
- Learn robot programming including off-line methods
Individual Traits Key to Success at CCAM
- Approaches work with a collaborative, team-first mentality; positive, proactive, with a can-do attitude
- Genuine enthusiasm for the application of research to manufacturing processes
- Excels at problem definition; able to work effectively with open ended or ambiguous problems and/or applications
- Self-driven and results-oriented, with a clear focus on high quality work performance
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, conveys ideas at both technical and non-technical levels; must be a good listener
- Responsible and accountable; able to manage time, cost, and quality to meet project goals
- Eager to gain new experience and learn new skills
The Commonwealth Center for Advanced Manufacturing is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.