The Materials Research Engineer will perform and lead a wide variety of exciting, hands-on work. Improve and develop manufacturing processes for the production of high-tech materials using advanced equipment. Work alongside and lead other researchers to understand and optimize processes through the use of process monitoring and control, advanced automation, and new sensing techniques for technologies like laser ablation, robotic finishing, plasma spray, and vacuum coating.
- B.S. in Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering or similar discipline
- 3 – 5 years’ experience in a research or manufacturing environment
- This position requires access to technology or intellectual property that is subject to export control requirements. Candidates must be qualified for such access without an export control license
- Experience in the operation and maintenance of complex equipment. Examples include industrial robotics, thermal spray equipment, vacuum coating equipment, laser processes, CNC machining equipment.
- Experience with material processing (metals or ceramics)
- Programming experience (MATLAB, Python, LabVIEW)
- Proposal writing
- Experience with problem-solving for relevant processes (analyze data, targeted experimentation, determine root causes, implement corrective action)
- Experience with data acquisition, instrumentation (high-speed is a plus), sensor selection, data analysis
- Knowledge in statistical analysis – designs of experiments, measurement system analyses, empirical process modeling
- Ability and interest to analyze and develop the key process/property/performance relationships relevant to advanced manufacturing
Materials Research Engineer Responsibilities
- Work with customers to identify and develop research opportunities
- Plan research projects and lead the technical execution of those projects
- Learn about abrasive blasting and laser ablation research, potential to lead research in this area
- Potential to lead all control-centric aspects of surface engineering research projects
Individual Traits Key to Success at CCAM
- Approaches work with a collaborative, team-first mentality; positive, proactive, with a can-do attitude
- Genuine enthusiasm for the application of research to manufacturing processes
- Excels at problem definition; able to work effectively with open ended or ambiguous problems and/or applications
- Self-driven and results-oriented, with a clear focus on high quality work performance
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, conveys ideas at both technical and non-technical levels; must be a good listener
- Responsible and accountable; able to manage time, cost, and quality to meet project goals
- Eager to gain new experience and learn new skills
The Commonwealth Center for Advanced Manufacturing is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.